[GRASS-user] print

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jul 30 08:04:34 EDT 2007

On 30/07/07 12:52, davide.mosetti at entecra.it wrote:
> Greetings to everybody,
> i'm a new subscribed of this mailinglist. I'm working with
> grass 6.2.2 and i'd like to print my maps (thematic vector
> maps displayed on a raster one)in jpg or pdf format. i tried
> the specific tools but the image resolution is too low to
> produce a high quality map. I met this problem also with old
> versions.
> Can you help me?

There are several possibilities of high-resolution output:

- PS driver: This is only avaible in the development version (6.3), but
it allows you to create vector postscript output, which by definition is
as high a resolution as you want (for vector data - for raster data,
resolution obviously also depends on your region settings)

Launch on the command line with d.mon start=PS

- PNG driver (also in 6.2)

Launch on the command line with d.mon start=PNG

I don't think you can launch these from the current GUI. (Michael, any
chance that this might be implemented, i.e. sending the drawing commands
for displaying the map in the canvas to a PS file instead of the normal
composite PNG file ?)

For both of these you can set the resolution by setting the GRASS_WIDTH
and GRASS_HEIGHT environment variables. Or you can call any of these
through the d.out.file script, using the format= option and setting
resolution with the size= option.
In order to use d.out.file

- ps.map: this takes a bit of time to get used to, but gives you quite a
lot of power to elaborate high-resolution maps. An added plus for this
is the possibility to "automate" map making through script files.

Moritz