[GRASS-user] 3D TINs micro how-to

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 07:31:36 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago the issue on creation of 3D TINs in GRASS from 3D
points came out again, and after some trials I managed to do it. Since
it might be of general interest, here it goes:

- you need to install Paraview (www.paraview.org) and MeshLab
(http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/)

1 - Export your 3d points as a VTK file;
2 - In Paraview, open the vtk file, click on Apply, then go to
Filters-Alphabetical-Delaunay 2D (need to click apply again). click on
the name of the just-created mesh and go to file-save data. Save it as
a PLY file.
3 - Open the PLY in MEshLab and save as a DXF. If
you open the dxf in a text editor, you will see the lovely 3DFACE. :)

If imported it back into GRASS, it will be imported as FACES. nice.

good luck!

Carlos

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

Can't stop the signal.