[GRASS-user] ascii files to import

Kirk Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Mon Jul 30 16:59:40 EDT 2007

Greetings everyone,

I was just handed a 26,000 row by 100 column excel file which
contains lat long coordinates of individual site locations. I need to
project it onto a rater image (already in a grass utm location).

Two ideas come to mind... one is to read it into a grass lat long
location with v.in.ascii and then reproject onto the utm location,
the other is to read it into postgis and convert the lat long columns
to meters, then import the postgis layer. Any suggestions as to
advantages or disadvantages to either approach?

How do most of you handle these situations?

Best Regards,

Kirk

Kirk R. Wythers, Research Fellow
Dept. of Forest Resources