[GRASS-user] r.los

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:51:53 EDT 2007

GRASS has 2 routines specially designed to interpolate raster maps from
contours.

1. Use r.surf.contour: Convert your vector contours to raster using
v.to.rast. Then create a raster map from the contours using r.surf.contour.

2. Use v.surf.rst: More sophisticated and complicated module, but will read
your vector contours directly. Check the manual for details.

Michael

On 7/30/07 2:31 PM, "Richard Chirgwin" <rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Since r.los only works on rasters, I need to create the raster files.
> How do you create rasters starting with a set of vector contour maps?
>
> I tried running v.extrude, using the "Elevation" column for the
> attribute. Grass processes this okay, reporting:
>
> Number of nodes: 197049
> Number of primitives: 197056
> Number of points: 0
> Number of lines: 0
> Number of boundaries: 0
> Number of faces: 197056
> Number of areas: 0
> Number of isles: 0
>
> When I try to display the resulting map, however, I get a blank display.
> Have I failed to configure something for the display of the 3D output?
>
> Richard Chirgwin

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University