[GRASS-user] wxgrass: porblem with combo

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jun 3 16:19:54 EDT 2007

Jarek,

On 6/2/07 8:11 AM, "Jarek Jasiewicz" <jarekj at amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> Hi
> That problem was described on  FreegeoCZ, but I have problem with some
> Czech words :))
>

> on ubuntu feisty with wxWidgeds installed from repository:
> generally after when wxgrass is started I have the message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/wxgui.py", line 29, in <module>
>     import wx.combo
> ImportError: No module named combo

See a bit below.

> generally:
>
> wxGRASS have started in recent (btw: congratulations, intuitive fast
> interface, and times faster display!!!!!)

Thanks. And thanks for going to the trouble of testing this.

> some elemenst works, some not (I know, it is in early development stage)
> but in next start mentioned message appeared.
>
> Meanwhile I tried (without success) compile Ggis with Python support.
> Because there were problems in finding Python Include dir, I make some
> changes in ld.conf.so (path to Python2.4 includes needded by qgis). I
> cancelled all the changes  (and run ldconfig, of course)

This is not necessary for the wxPython gui. It is only needed if you want to
use the Python SWIG interface.

> Generaly, it worked, and without any particular reasons have stopped.
> Any ideas??
>
> I have wx installed in /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx it is 2.8.1. version
> I have both python 2.4 and 2.5 installed in /usr

This could be a problem. You can have multiple pythons installed, but only
one will be the default. I (and at least some others) are currently using
2.5 for development, but trying to maintain 2.4 compatibility. So either one
should be OK for the wxgrass gui.

You mention in another post that you have wxPython 2.6 and 2.8 installed.
This will almost certainly be a problem unless 2.8.x is your default. This
is probably the source of the error with wx.combo--a module that comes with
2.8. These are in ../wx/lib and need to be in your python path. I don't know
if wxPython 2.6 can be in your python path without causing problems.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213