[GRASS-user] wxgrass: porblem with combo - posible reason

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Mon Jun 4 11:41:00 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:
> Jarek Jasiewicz wrote:
>
>> possible reason problme occures when both wxPython 2.6 and 2.8 are
>> installed. Some aplications requiers wx2.6 as thier dependiency
>> If only 2.8 is installed wxgrass works
>> I don't know if it is the reason but it occurs
>> maybe it is if 2.6 is installed AFTER 2.8?
>>

> from my very small understanding of wx, the differences between 2.6 and
> 2.8 are small*, so aplications which require wx2.6 should be quickly
> ported to 2.8, and the problem goes away.
>
> [*] vs. 2.4->2.6 or 2.8->+; ie the 2.8 release was more of a "finish
> 2.6" release than a full new feature release.
>

> but just my impression,
> Hamish

Yes, they are generally compatibile, but it is problem of dependency
construcion. You have installed wx2.8, but if you want to install some
application it will check if wx2.6 is installed and generally,  if not
-  install it

generally now there is no package on ubuntu feisty dependend on wx2.8
all depend on wx2.6, and what more, 2.8 is in conflict with 2.6 - they
cannot exist together

so suggestion to developers of wxGRASS: I don't know when wxPython
interface has to be publish to public tests - i.e to official unstable
branch, but maybe the dependency on wx2.8 shall to be verified??

greetings
Jarek