[GRASS-user] Some suggestions

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 07:07:39 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> That said, it could be convenient to attach/dock a map display to the
> layer manager, in order to move them around together. I'm looking into
> a way to do that. May or may not be possible.

if this is possible, it would make both camps happy.

another way too gee-whiz eye candy solution is a pop-down semi-
transparent heads-up-display overlay in the display window. ;)

> This is not referring to the properties dialogs for each GRASS
> command. These are unavoidable if you want to run the command, but can
> be closed to clean up the screen. Press OK instead of Apply and the
> window goes away. Grouping them into a single MDI wouldn't make them
> any easier to work with or less cluttered. Hamish has suggested making
> them modal by default, with the option of keeping them open if you
> want via a checkbox. This sort of forces you to keep your screen clean
> unless you really want to do otherwise.

Ah, I didn't know about [Ok] and [Apply] for the module GUIs. That's a
lot clearer than a "keep alive" checkbox, and obviates the need.
Generally I think that Apply buttons are not that useful, but they could
do a very nice job here.

Hamish