[GRASS-user] GRASS-QGIS connection

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Mon Jun 11 05:53:44 EDT 2007

Hi David
>Hello,
>
>I'm running Lorenzo's binaries (6.2.1) on OS X.  I've recently
>switched my default shell program from tcsh to bash.  When I try to
>launch QGIS from within GRASS, I receive the following:

Bash shell is required.

In a new Terminal window enter:
  % env
and see the result. If you see this row:
SHELL=/bin/bash

Bash shell is used and you can use GRASS OS X.

Or change your default shell inside OS X in two ways:

Solid way:
Go to into the NetInfo Manager program (Applications -> Utilities ->
NetInfo Manager). Click on "users" then find your account. In the
lower pane is "shell" and see the path. If you see "/bin/tcsh" change
it to /bin/bash, then quit NetInfo Manager and restart.

Light way:
If you don't want to change the NetInfo database entry for your
account, go to Terminal application (Applications -> Utilities ->
Terminal) then go to Terminal -> Terminal Preferences and select
"Execute this command" and make sure it's the shell you want (usually
is /bin/bash).

awk is used in many command inside Grass. It's checked at the start of script.
Go to Terminal and in the new window (not inside Grass) enter:
  % which awk
and see the result. In OS X the path is:
  % /usr/bin/awk

If you want you can comment the rows where awk is checked ...
Edit with Text editor the file
"/Applications/GrassGIS/Grass6.app/Contents/Resources/grass-6.2.1/scripts/d.qgis"

and comment these rows:
# Check if we have awk.
# if [ ! -x "`which awk`" ] ; then
#    echo "$SCRIPT: awk required, please install awk or gawk first" 2>&1
#    exit 1
# fi

Now restart d.qgis script (Open Qgis application under Xtns menu) and
select QGIS to run or inside terminal enter:

---> GRASS OS X
GRASS 6.2.1 (location):~ >  d.qgis file=/Applications/qgis-0.8.0/qgis.app &

---> GRASS X11
GRASS 6.2.1 (location):~ >  d.qgis
file=/Applications/qgis-0.8.0/qgis.app/Contents/MacOS/qgis &

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA ACS PROTIDR       Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086
ENEA - Ente Nazionale per le Nuove Tecnologie, l'Energia e l'Ambiente
ENEA - The Italian Agency for New Technologies, Energy and the Environment