[GRASS-user] Use of coefbh and coefdh in r.sun

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:25:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

After consulting with an atmospheric scientist, I have decided that it might
be simpler to estimate 'real-sky' radiance as opposed to trying to estimate
the Linke turbidity for the estimation of 'clear-sky' conditions.

It looks like r.sun can use input maps: coefbh and coefdh to compute real-sky
radiance values. I would like to be sure that I am interpreting these inputs
correctly:

1. does (1- coefbh) = coefdh ?
2. does coefdh correspond to the notion of the 'diffuse fraction' which is
commonly calculated via something called the 'clearness index' ?

If this is the case, then it is not all that difficult to compute coefdh from
pyranometer data and the output from r.sun (mode 1)

I will update the man page with my approach, if these assumptions are correct.

cheers,

PS:
a relevent references is:

Jacovides, C.; Tymvios, F.; Assimakopoulos, V. & Kaltsounides, N. Comparative
study of various correlations in estimating hourly diffuse fraction of global
solar radiation. Renewable Energy, 2006, 31, 2492 - 2504

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis