[GRASS-user] Use of coefbh and coefdh in r.sun

José Antonio Ruiz Arias jararias at ujaen.es
Mon Jun 25 15:27:16 EDT 2007

Hi Dylan,

I will expose what I modestly think about.

1. does (1-coefbh)=coefdh? No.
I think you are confusing the clear-sky indices for the direct and diffuse
components with the direct and diffuse fractions. These latter are both
referred to the total global radiation coming into the ground so that,
considering the reflected component negligible, the addition of the direct
and diffuse fractions are always the unity. In turn, the clear-sky index for
the direct horizontal component (coefbh) is the fraction of direct component
attenuated by the clouds, that is, the ratio of direct beam horizontal
radiation under overcast-skies to the direct beam horizontal radiation under
clear-skies. The same is applied to the diffuse component.

2. does coefdh correspond to the notion of the 'diffuse fraction' which is
commonly calculated via something called the 'clearness index' ? I think I
have answered above.

My personal opinion is that the best approach consists on using a more or
less approximated turbidity coefficient of Linke (a climatological value
could be the easiest choice) to get the clear-sky estimation (r.sun) and
then use the ground global radiation measurement (supposing you have it,
obviously) to correct the clear-sky estimation provided by r.sun. This
approach can be also applied to both, the diffuse and direct components of
the radiation. The problem with the components is the seldom availability of
measurements.

I hope to have cleared I little the question

José A.