[GRASS-user] GNU GPL version 3 and Grass code

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Thu Jun 28 19:54:00 EDT 2007

grassuser-bounces at grass.itc.it wrote on 29/06/2007 02:11:53 AM:

> Patton, Eric wrote:
> >> With the GNU GPL version 3 scheduled to be released tomorrow, arethere
any
> >> plans on adopting this license for Grass?

> >Eric,

> >Has it been approved by OSI yet?  OSGeo has taken the position that
project
> >code will only be released under OSI approved licenses, and so I think
> >project adoption of GPL3 should wait for that process to be completed
> >by OSI.

> >I asked OSI (via one director) about it a few months ago and they hadn't
> >started any serious review at that time.

> Best regards,
> --

> >From what I can see on the OSI site, they haven't approved GPL3
> yet, but that's not surprising given it hasn't been officially
> released yet. It might be something worth keeping on eye on if it's
> the intention of the developers to adopt GPL3 at some point.

> ~ Eric.

Is copyright on GRASS code held by individual authors?

Or is the copyright transferred to the GRASS project itself
when code is submitted?

Or, to put it another way, does adopting a different liscence
require the concent of every single contributor, or merely
a decision by the project steering committee?

nick

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.