[GRASS-user] GNU GPL version 3 and Grass code

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Jun 29 04:42:55 EDT 2007

(cc grass-psc)

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 09:54:00AM +1000, nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> Patton, Eric wrote:
> > > With the GNU GPL version 3 scheduled to be released tomorrow, are there
> > > are plans on adopting this license for Grass?

> > From what I can see on the OSI site, they haven't approved GPL3
> > yet, but that's not surprising given it hasn't been officially
> > released yet. It might be something worth keeping on eye on if it's
> > the intention of the developers to adopt GPL3 at some point.
> >
> > ~ Eric.
>
> Is copyright on GRASS code held by individual authors?

In general yes.

> Or is the copyright transferred to the GRASS project itself
> when code is submitted?

No. We don't have copyright transfer. This was discussed a lot
last year in terms of an OSGeo contribution agreement.

> Or, to put it another way, does adopting a different liscence
> require the concent of every single contributor, or merely
> a decision by the project steering committee?

As far as I understand it, it requires the concent of every
single contributor *if* the new license is not compliant
with GPL. Note that most (all?) code contains GPL >= V2.
But GRASS-PSC is certainly involved in the decision.

> nick

[ too long privacy statemente removed ]

Markus