[GRASS-user] Creation of a DEM

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jun 30 15:10:56 EDT 2007

Ed,

It sounds like your shape file is made up of polygons, but that it needs to
be cleaned.

The OGR layer warning is for one or more polygons that are extremely tiny.
An area of 6.5e-11 means 6.5 with an exponent of -11. It is probably just
ignoring these incorrect "polygons" (I bet that they are actually points
instead of real polygons).

Ideally, you need to create your DEM from a point file. Probably a point at
the center of each polygon is the best representation of your data. You can
get these from area centroids after you import the polygons (use v.type to
convert from centroids to points; in the vector>develop map>convert object
types menu). Someone mentioned a v.in.OGR option to just import area
centroids. I haven't used this, but it might save a step.

The number of columns are irrelevant to interpolation, but they might slow
down your import. They are stored in a *.dbf file along with your *.shp
file. You can get rid of columns before your import with any program that
will read DBF files (e.g., open office).

Once you have a point file with elevation values imported into GRASS, there
are many interpolation methods available to you. The easiest way to see what
is possible is to look at the raster>interpolate surfaces menu. You can
interpolate from the vector points you have imported, or you can change the
vector points to raster points (files>map type conversions) and use the
raster points.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity