[GRASS-user] help with ogr2ogr and .shp file

antonio rodriguez antonio.raju at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:56:50 EST 2007

Hamish escribió:
> antonio rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I need some help and advice to transform a .shp file to a format
>> readable by GRASS.
>>

> from within your lat lon GRASS location:
>
> v.in.ogr location=
>
> to import the shape file and create a new location for it based on its
> .prj projection info. (assuming it has a .prj file. if not you'll have
> to create the needed location manually and import using v.in.ogr from
> within the new location)
>

>> Extent: (100528.742188, 3991489.250000) - (610083.250000, 4288506.900918)
>> Layer SRS WKT: (unknown)
>>

> Looks like you'll have to create a new location and set the projection
> settings manually...
>

> then (in the lat/lon location) suck it into the lat/lon projection with
> v.proj.

Dear Hamish, Wolf:

Well, I'll try to be concize. I have an existant location=andal,
mapset=toni with a region:

projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      39N
south:      36N
west:       8W
east:       1W
nsres:      0:00:03.6
ewres:      0:00:03.6
rows:       3000
cols:       7000

Within this location and mapset, with v.in.ogr, I have imported the .shp
file into a new location:

v.in.ogr dsn=/home/toni/tmp/hidrografialineal/hs1-1500.shp
out=hidrologia location=hidro

I exit the current session and start a new one with the new parameters:

location=hidro and mapset=PERMANENT:
g.region -p

projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      4288506.90091814
south:      3991489.25
west:       100528.7421875
east:       610083.25
nsres:      14850.88254591
ewres:      25477.72539063
rows:       20
cols:       20

Everything is OK. I exit this session and start the first one (the one
where I want to import the hidrologia vector file)

So in location=andal, mapset=toni I do

v.proj input=hidrologia location=hidro mapset=PERMANENT output=hidrologia

And I get:

PROJ_INFO  and PROJ_UNITS files not found for location hidro

Where do I get this files? How do I create it?

TIA

Antonio