[GRASS-user] Problem with slope modeling .

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 26 10:50:17 EDT 2007

Hi Hamish,

I assume you copied me on this reply for the 'profiler notes'.

On 3/26/07 1:30 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> profiler notes:
> - y-scale is ranged to max/min of map, not max/min of profile?
>   ($elevrange from r.univar instead of r.profile in gis.m/profile.tcl)
>   Not sure which is best. Both ways have some merit.

Good thought. I don't know which is better. Currently, it tries to get max
and min from the displayed area of the map so that all profiles will be to
the same scale. eg., for cutting and pasting comparisons. However, I can
also see the merit of making the scale dependent on the max and min of the
profile itself. Which do you think is better?

> - in your screenshot the axes tick labels are not formatted cleanly.
>   I've just prettified those in CVS, please test.
>
> - BUG: if profile ends outside of the raster map off in NULL-land,
>   the totaldistance calculation is calculated to the end of the arrows,
>   but the end of real data in the plot is stretched to the far right end
>   regardless. e.g.: Zoom out so your raster is a postage stamp sized box
>   in the middle, then make some profiles from map canvas corner to
>   corner. The start of the data is positioned ok. Also it should break
>   the plot at NULL data, not draw a line beween the last known good data
>   either side of the NULLs.

This works better than it did, but it is still not the best, as you note.
It's hard to fix given how r.profile works. Still, there is not much use for
a profile that goes off a map on purpose.

> - it would be possible to add a title like "Profile for $mapname" at the
>   top of the profile. Is there demand for this? Better to have it in the
>   window title than on the plot itself?

This could be done. But would it clutter up the profile display too much
(i.e., with breaklines)?

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213