[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][338] different sampling methods

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:51:31 EDT 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 08:00, grass-coder at wald.intevation.org wrote:
> code R item #338, was opened at 2007-03-19 15:00
> Issue status: None
> GRASS component: vector
> Operating system: Linux
> Operating system version: debian
>

> Initial Comment:
> Hello,
>
> beside v.random or r.random to set points for latter analysis into an area
> other options would be very handy:
>
> - sampling every 10th point of raster
> - linear sampling: small areas have less points than larger areas
>
> other sampling strategies could be implemented see Dylans page:
> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/320
>
> this ought to be either done per raster or per raster but separated by
> classes in raster.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I have thought about this as well. I am not a good enough coder to implement
all of the sampling routines that would be required: i.e. using
stratification, etc. I have been able to create sampling designs using
the 'spatstat' package in R however. I see two possible approaches:

1. we implement a full suite of sampling algorithms into v.random
- regular grid
- non-aligned
- random
- random stratified by areas or lines
- random along line segments
- random generation of line segments

this would require some work, but I have some references for most of the
algorithms handy -- I cannot implement them well.

2. we work with Roger Bivand to create some tutorials on moving grass vectors
into R, and using the sampling algorithms there, finally moving the results
back to GRASS. I think that this is currently possible, we just need some
help writing it up. On the page that you referenced
(http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/319) I have used
intermediate text files to move GRASS vectors back and forth. Using the
spgrass6 package to do this would be a big improvement.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis