[GRASS-user] grass cvs libgdal startup problem

Francesco Mirabella mirabell at unipg.it
Thu May 3 07:03:09 EDT 2007

Dear all,
I have just installed GRASS cvs on linux centos4. The configure seems
ok, I have installed gdal from source and I got "gdal support" ok after the configure. However, when starting grass, after a new location was created the main window appears for a second, then crashes and I get:
################################
"child process exited abnormally"
################################

-> If I try d.m command I get:
################################
Error in startup script: ps.map: error while loading shared libraries:
libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    while executing
    "exec ps.map -p"
        (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
	    invoked from within
	    "DmPrint::init"
	        (procedure "main" line 34)
		    invoked from within
		    "main $argc $argv"
		        (file "/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/dm/d.m.tcl"
			line 1637)

-> The command "d.rast" and "d.mon x0" work fine, while "d.vect" gives:
GRASS 6.3.cvs (UTM_ED50_33):/usr/local/cvs/grass6 > d.vect
d.vect: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open

I saw some thread about this but I could not sort it out
Can anyone help?

Best wishes
Francesco