[GRASS-user] USGS SDDS DEM to Grass HOWTO??

David Adam david at quercus.org
Wed May 9 10:48:54 EDT 2007

I'm missing some secrets for downloading DEM data from the USGS SDDS
(Seamless Data Distribution System) into GRASS.
I'm using GRASS-6.2.1 as a downloaded binary for Fedora Core 6.  I would
like to download DEM data for various areas and import the data into
GRASS, with each area going into a separate location.
I've tried various formats for downloading the data (ArcGrid, geotiff,
BIL).  I get everything in a single zip file, put it in its own
directory, and unzip it, which produces a set of files including both
data and metadata.  I can set up a location using the "Define new
location using georeferenced file" option, and the new location exists
when I restart GRASS, but I have been unable to get the actual data to
import, either through the gui or directly with a call to r.in.gdal
(which brings up the gui anyway).  I have tried specifying each of the
files in the data as the file to import, but none of them seems to work.

Is there a HOWTO available for this process?  If not, can anyone point
me in the proper direction?  Any help will be much appreciated...

TIA,

david
Lake County, California
(just north of the Napa Valley)