[GRASS-user] import ascii error + how to build a tin

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed May 23 12:13:04 EDT 2007

You may want to build a TIN for other reasons, but (unlike ArcGIS) you don¹t
need it in GRASS for displaying shaded relief maps and 2.5 (or even 3D)
maps.

There is a shaded relief module (r.shaded.relief) that runs directly from a
raster map. You can get 2.5-4D displays in NVIZ directly from rasters and
volumes (and 3D vectors too) without making a TIN.

Michael

On 5/22/07 10:19 AM, "Ricardo Oliveira" <autopilot at oniduo.pt> wrote:

> I am getting an error when importing a .xyz file with the coordinates
> of a scene. The only reason i am looking at is the fact that the z value
> is negative, and after the field separator (,).
> Also, after importing how should i build a surface (TIN) and create a
> shaded surface?
>
> Here is the error:
> Error reading ascii file:
> 1499.4708,4314.6574,-1.5260