[GRASS-user] Using v.in.ascii and v.to.rast in similar fashion as s.in.ascii and s.to.rast

docR doc.robinson at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 1 04:18:15 EDT 2007

am making the conversion from some of my version 5.x based work to 6.2.2 and
in one place I have used

s.in.ascii i=./memb5.csv sites=memb5 fs=','

where memb5.csv is file with    easting,northing,probability
then used

s.to.rast i=memb5 o=memb5

to create a raster with the probabilities for each of the cells that have a
probability associated with it.

I have been trying various forms of v.in.ascii and v.to.rast to do the same
thing.
Although I was finally able to create a raster from this file as I had in
5.x, it does seem to take a bit more time comsuming (and slightly more
cumbersome) considering the whole process from csv to raster. The process
that seemed to work for me was

v.in.ascii in=memb5.csv out=cat1tmp fs=space format=point col="eastg
int,northg int,prob double"
v.category in=cat1tmp out=cat1 type=point option=add
v.to.rast in=cat1 out=cat1rast use=attr col=prob

at this point there is a raster but a color map does not seem to be defined
so
            r.colors map=cat1rast color=rainbow
does the trick

Is there an example to follow that is as simple as the use of s.in.ascii /
s.to.rast version 5.x?