[GRASS-user] isoareas from DEM data

Stefan Eriksson stefan.piaostefan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:45:44 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am absolutely new to GRASS, so please forgive me if my questions are
a bit naive.

I am trying to create isoareas from DEM data.
So far I have managed to create the polygons from DEM data by
> r.mapcalc "newElev2 = round(elevation.dem / 100) * 100"
 100%
> r.to.vect

However, r.to.vect does not support setting z value to polygons.

How should I go on to transfer elevation attribute to the created polygons?
Probably by using v.what.rast in some way, but how?

Is it possible to sort polygons on elevation before writing them to output file?

Thank you in advance,

/Stefan