[GRASS-user] More QUESTIONS !?

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:08:19 EST 2007

A long time ago (2003) I asked the same question about linking monitors!
The tread is here:
http://www.nabble.com/-GRASSLIST%3A5609--Linking-Monitors-tf3101985.html#a8608876

John Gillette came up with a nice script to do this using two display
monitors, x0 and x1.
Drawbacks:
1. You must use the old monitors, not a big problem I think
2. You must execute the script every time for each pan or zoom
3. Only one movement por script run (one pan or one zoom)

Maybe there is a way to implement this using the new displays...
To use the old x displays, go to the grass command line and issue:
d.mon start x0
d.mon start x1
This will start the monitors
To select the monitor to use issue:
d.mon select=x0
d.erase erases the monitor
d.rast map=your_map draws on the monitor

Good luck :)
Daniel

The original message by John Gillette follows:
[GRASSLIST:5636] Linking Monitors script Click to flag this post

by John Gillette Feb 21, 2003; 05:50pm ::

try this:

Select and then Erase x1 and then display what ever you want there.
Select x0 and erase and display other info there.

Run this script to either pan or zoom in x0.  After finishing
the pan or zoom x1 will redraw it's contents at the same region
thereby "following" what ever is done in x0.

The disadvantage is that you can only do 1 pan or zoom at a time,
i.e. not interactively.

usage:

script_name z   <- does zoom instead of pan
script_name

zooming and panning in x0.  x0 is selected at exit.

Does this help?

John

------------------
#!/bin/sh