[GRASS-user] Missing an OS GIS Server

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:32:20 EST 2007

Today I've been contacted by a software farm, which develops ArcGIS
Server based solutions. It's the third in few months to propose me to
work on that product, and maybe it's a clue indicating an increasing
request for distributes GIS applications.

I know it's a hot theme and I don't want to start up a flame, but I
think that FOSS gis run the risk to remain a step behind proprietary
products. I know, interested subjects should invest in it to start a
specific deployment, but I suspect it won't be possible in a short
time...

I think that projects, as PyWPS or some other examples on how to run
Grass commands through web interfaces, are interesting prototypes, but
they surely don't replace the lack of an OS Gis Server.

What do yuo think about it? Are there projects in this direction?

Giovanni