[GRASS-user] raster slices to volume

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 18:26:16 EST 2007

Tomas Lanczos wrote:
> I have contour maps converted to rasters (rock temperatures) in
> different depths (-500, -1000, -1500, -2000, -2500, -3000, -4000, -6000
> meters below sea level). What is the best way to interpolate them to one
> 3d raster (volume)?

for evenly spaced raster slices first set the 3D region, e.g.
  g.region t=-500 b=-6000 tbres=500

then use the r.to.rast3 module to make the 3D raster volume map.

but you would need to interpolate intermediate levels for missing slices.
For -3500 you could use r.series method=average, for 4500,5000,5500 you would
have to use r.mapcalc manually.

v.vol.rst could be used to interpolate from 3D points, but RST+contour lines
usually is prone to artifact problems do to the uneven spatial distribution of
data points.

see also the 3D help page on the wiki site:
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Help_with_3D

Hamish