[GRASS-user] Missing an OS GIS Server

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 23:19:38 EST 2007

> Giovanni Allegri wrote:
> > Today I've been contacted by a software farm, which develops ArcGIS
> > Server based solutions. It's the third in few months to propose me to
> > work on that product, and maybe it's a clue indicating an increasing
> > request for distributes GIS applications.

Personally, I would read that as a clue indicating an increasing commercial
sales pressure for distributed GIS applications, not an indicator of real
demand.

Server apps are Open Source's strongest historical domain, so I would imagine
any strong customer demand in that area to be quickly and strongly satisfied by
the FOSS community.

Are you thinking like a Oracle spatial data repository, or server based data
viewer, or server based GIS processing & analysis software?

Lars Forseth answered:
> Mapserver? See http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

Have a look at all the Web Mapping projects from OSGeo too:
  http://www.osgeo.org

Hamish