[GRASS-user] Missing an OS GIS Server

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 06:29:55 EST 2007

Maybe you're right Hamish, but it's something we also would need in
the Research Agency I'm working in form my thesis... They asked me:
"Is there an OS software that can integrate the features we can find
in ArcGIS Server?". My answer was: "There isn't an all-in-one
solution, nut we can bring different pieces working together"...
The features I mean are:

 - workgroup and enterprise level spatial data management, with
versioning management, distributed editing (WFS-T is hard to be
thought as a real productive solution by now), db replication...
 - server based analysis and geoprocessing (I think to a "Grass
Server" version). WPS could be a solution (if it will be integrated in
desktop gis clients!), but it needs a real geoprocessing server as a
backend. PyWPS try to emulate it making system calls to shell commands
(like Grass ones)... but I don't think it's can become a real
distributed analysis solution!

In brief, this is what I expect from a Gis Server. I know I'm asking
the paradise, but it was kust to explain my, and other's, needs.

Giovanni