[GRASS-user] ps.map character encoding problems

Frank Broniewski liste at geo-dienstleistung.de
Mon Nov 12 09:57:09 EST 2007

Dear List,

I have trouble with the ps.map module and character encoding in the legend. I
have french characters (é,è and others) as a layer label. The layer itself
was imported from a postgis database, which has a unicode encoding. As far as
I understand the manual for ps.map, you need your mapping instructions file
encoded to ISO-8859-1. At the end of the manual is the appropriate command
listed. so far so good.
But I use a condition for my vector layer, which has the layer name as where
clause term. Converting my mapping instructions file to ISO-8859-1 gives me
another error, with the result that the layer cannot be drawn and ps.map
exits. Here's the error:

ps.map -e input=print.txt output=print.ps
PS-PAINT: scale set to 1 : 360512.
PS-PAINT: reading raster file <dgm in PERMANENT> ...
PS-PAINT: reading vector points file <sites in PERMANENT> ...DBMI-Postgres
driver error:
Cannot select:
SELECT id FROM sites WHERE epoch = 'M�solithique'
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe9736f
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the
encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

Any help is greatly appreciated

Frank