[GRASS-user] problems exporting vector as a shapefile with polygons

andrew haywood ahaywood3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:33:05 EST 2007

Dear List,

I am having problems exporting a vector out as a shapefile with
polygons. I seem to get only lines.

If I run v.info on my vector I get the following. Which states I have
areas and centroids.

Type of Map:  Vector (level: 2)                                          |
 |   Number of points:       0               Number of areas:      3588       |
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of islands:    1          |
 |   Number of boundaries:   14632           Number of faces:      0          |
 |   Number of centroids:    3588            Number of kernels:    0          |
 |   Map is 3D:              0                                                |
 |   Number of dblinks:      1                                                |
 |   Projection: UTM (zone 0)                                                 |
 |            N: 5920000.000    S: 5828000.000                                |
 |            E: 452000.000    W: 296000.000                                  |
 |            B: 0.000         T: 0.000                                       |
 |   Digitize threshold: 0.00000

If I run the following command

v.out.ogr -p input=grid_small type=area dsn=grid_small layer=1
format=ESRI_Shapefile

and then run the following

ogrinfo  grid_small.shp grid_small

I get only linestring and no polygons

OGRFeature(grid_small):13540
  cat (Real) = (null)
  row (Real) = (null)
  col (Real) = (null)
  LINESTRING (406000 5852000 0,406000 5854000 0)

when i import it into arcvie 3.x i only get a polyline shapefile.

Any help on how to construct a polygon shapefile would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Andrew