[GRASS-user] NVIZ and 3D polygon

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Nov 13 09:53:50 EST 2007

Did you build from source or are you using one of the binaries?

I have verified that my binaries run on Leopard, except that I didn't
check NVIZ.  There may be compatibility issues with OpenGL on the new
X11 - Apple did some cool and weird stuff with Leopard's X11.

When I built on Leopard, I got NVIZ to run, though there were some
initial redraw glitches so there may yet be OpenGL issues on Leopard.

It may be as simple as the X11 display setting.  One of the cool new
X11 things is that you don't need to start X11 yourself - it starts
when needed.  In fact, you shouldn't start X11 yourself, and you
should not have it in your Dock, or you will get multiple copies in
your Dock.

For displays to work, you must NOT set the $DISPLAY variable in your
shell.  Make sure you remove it from any shell startup scripts
(ie .bash_profile and .bashrc).  It may also be in ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist from other software installs.

When I get things running smoothly on Leopard, I'll find a place to
add this info in the GRASS wiki, as well as the OSX readme for the
binary install.