[GRASS-user] MODIS HDF conversion in TIF tool.

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 05:47:35 EST 2007

 NA> There is a handy tool called HEG [HDF-EOS To GeoTIFF Conversion
 NA> Tool] with which one can convert HDF files into .tif.

        Please note that it process only HDF-EOS files, and not
        arbitrary HDF's.

 NA> It can be used to create subsets as well. The tool has two modes:
 NA> a. stitching/subset modus and b. conversion modus.

 NA> It is written in C and Java (for the GUI).

 NA> Could it be useful for GRASS?

        Yes.  However, please note that it's not free software (as
        defined by, e. g., DFSG [1]) nor open source (as defined by OSD
        [2].)

        My personal opinion is that it's a bit brain-damaged as well.
        Given that PROJ.4 [3] is free software, implementing a viable
        free software / open source alternative will probably take a
        developer-month or so (and I've some simple code which works for
        me on AIRS data, which aren't supported by HEG quite well.)
        (Although I'm not sure about the exact HDF-EOS libraries
        license.)

 NA> Is there any plan to implement a handy tool to import MODIS
 NA> imagery?

        Well, I've an Awk script or two to automagically convert
        `hegtool' output (.hdr) into a control file for swtif.

 NA> * I already read almost all mails in the list referering to the HDF
 NA> import problematic.

 NA> link: http://newsroom.gsfc.nasa.gov/sdptoolkit/HEG/HEGHome.html .

[...]

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract