[GRASS-user] PostGIS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Nov 16 07:34:51 EST 2007

On 16/11/07 06:54, John Abraham wrote:

>> v.out.ogr creates this list on the fly, so if you don't see it, this
>> might mean that your installation of ogr does not support PostgreSQL.
> I have ogr2ogr installed (from FWTools142) and working now, and it
> supports PostgreSQL.  Is there a way to get grass63RC1 for windows to
> use that ogr?

In my last response I forgot that you were using Windows. I can confirm
that in the current ogr shipped with GRASS, postgreSQL is not included.
For the list of included drivers, see
http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/wingrass/fileformats.txt

> I tried setting the path to the directory containing the
> FWTools142 OGR, but I still get:

To what did you set the path. GRASS needs to find the library, not a
command such as ogr2ogr. In the grass distribution, this library is
c:\grass\grass-6.3.0RC1/lib/libgdal.dll (OGR is part of GDAL). So, if
you want grass to take into account another libgdal.dll, you have to put
its path before the one to c:\grass\grass-6.3.0RC1/lib. Or you can try
moving libgdal.dll away from c:\grass\grass-6.3.0RC1/lib/.

> Unable to open data source <PG:host=localhost dbname=postgis user=John>

Can you connect to this database from the command line with something like

psql -h localhost -d postgis -u John

Did you try db.test ?

Is a password required for the user John ? If yes, run db.login.

Moritz