[GRASS-user] v.dissolve

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:33:10 EST 2007

I have a vetor map of cities and the vector table has a column called
UF with state information. I'm trying to dissolve the boundaries of
the states to come up with a state vector map.

The command I'm using is:
v.dissolve input=municipios output=estados column=UF
and I get the error:

GRASS 6.2.2 (brasil):~/brasil > v.dissolve input=municipios
output=estados column=UF
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
dbmi: Protocol error
ERROR: Cannot open select cursor: SELECT cat, UF FROM municipios ORDER BY
       UF
ERROR: Cannot open old vector estados_7402 at daniel on level 2

Could it be that the UF values are character strings? Is there another
way to do this? I'm using grass 6.2.2 from the Ubuntu repositories
(Gutsy Gibon) with dbf database.

Cheers and thanks
Daniel