[GRASS-user] Creation of location is problematic in Ubuntu

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 06:29:30 EST 2007

Seppo.Kaitala wrote:

> I have used GRASS6.2.* in FC 7 and in Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10. (all from
> binaries).
>
> Creation of new location goes smoothly in FC 7 but in both versions of
> Ubuntu (Gnome)  I have had problems in creation of new location.
> When it asks for parameters and if I give an command LIST, it lists  datum
> list, but I can't get back to the command prompt.  The the programm fails
> and the location is created without proper definitions. Somebody might
> advise to run g.setproj, but if I remeber correctly the same problems here
> and  actually it is easer for me to edit directly the file DEFAULT-WIND.

My guess is that the Ubuntu package is following the Debian packaging policy of
altering the GRASS code to use the system default pager (which is "less")
instead of the one GRASS tries to use first (which is "more"). To get out of
"less" you press 'q' for quit. Personally I prefer to use "more" as the GRASS
pager, as if you don't know what to do just bashing the space and enter keys
gives you instant feedback and eventually gets you out of it. For "less" you
need prior knowledge of what to do, which isn't very easy when you don't even
know that you're in it.

Anyway, to make GRASS use "more", put the following in a ~/.grass.bashrc file:
export GRASS_PAGER=more

Hamish