[GRASS-user] raster slices to volume

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 20:54:55 EST 2007

Tomas wrote:
> I experimented a lot with this, Your way described below was the easiest
> and fastest but the result is not very satisfying for me becasue the
> produced "stripes" in the vertical slices (see the picture).

If you look at just the -500, -1000, -1500, -2000, -2500, -3000 slices you
have, with no r.series interpolation, do you see the stripe? If 0 is the top,
it looks like the -2500m values are misplaced??

Also if you are just doing a linear interpolation you can use r.series in
multiple passes instead of r.mapcalc, first calculate -5000 from average or
-4000 and -6000 maps, then take average of new -5000 and -4000 for -4500 map,
etc. Maybe less chance to go wrong then.

You can do a slide show of the slices, with d.slide.show, xganim, or the new
Tcl animation program in 6.3. Find the min/max range of all the maps and then
set & use common color rules for all maps.

> I also tried to extract points using r.random (3%), and interpolate using
> v.vol.rst but after 12 hours of computing and reaching approx. 20% I
> gave it up. What is the best optimalization method for interpolation in
> v.vol.rst?

Lower XY resolution? Or just leave it running over the weekend..

Hamish