[GRASS-user] Re: mailing list migration search troubles

Markus Neteler neteler at fbk.eu
Sun Nov 25 05:20:22 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 07:29:24AM +0100, Hamish wrote:
> mailing list woes:
>
> I first searched for the thread, and found one on grass-dev from 2007-09-18
> titled
>  "[GRASS-dev] g.mlist problem - followup"
> but the Gmane archive is producing an error "weft didn't produce an output."
> and the ht://Dig -dev mailing list search can't even find any matches on a
> search for "grass". (in the past Markus explained this might happen when it was
> doing a rescan)
>

> The other day a ht://Dig seach gave results, but the links were misaligned and
> you ended up with another random post or not-found error when you clicked on a
> promising summary.

We are still in the middle of the migration. And, hey, little help so far
besides the people from OSGeo who did a great job. A bit more interest
from the GRASS developers would be nice, especially for the SVN migration.
At least, to comment on the SVN scenarios (don't complain later that you
don't like it).

Here the TODO list:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_Migration_to_OSGeo

Quite some work, but needed.

> I also notice that old commits wait to be copied to the new osgeo server:  (?)
>   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/

Frank W refused to copy the commit archives. He said that he prefers to
only transfer human written archives:
http://logs.qgis.org/osgeo/%23osgeo.2007-11-14.log

"
06:24:12 FrankW:  markusN: for the archives, I only need the .mbox file. For the list I like to have a tar file of the whole list directory.
06:24:28 markusN: the mbox files can be downloaded directly
06:24:33 markusN: I'll collect the links for you
06:25:47 markusN: I have a fetch shell script
06:26:16 markusN: we have 2 lists which have been closed - migrate them too for historical reasons? ( sqlgrass and nviz list )
06:26:18 markusN: ?
06:28:42 markusN: frankw: I have added the script to http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/168
06:28:51 markusN: it loops over all lists
06:31:19 FrankW:  mboxes being fetched.
06:31:36 FrankW:  Can we discard the commit list archives?
06:31:48 markusN: mhh
06:31:49 FrankW:  They are 129 MB and I think of low value when the trac/svn history is readily available.
06:32:30 markusN: ah, an important thing: the commit list triggers the GRASS source code Quality Assessment system in Canada
06:32:54 FrankW:  I'm not suggesting we not have the commit list, just that we don't preserve the old archives.
06:32:56 markusN: you may remember this ( and we still want to open it for C++ = GDAL )
06:33:14 markusN: is it really so much overhead to keep it?
06:33:44 FrankW:  It is a significant overhead.
06:33:54 FrankW:  I wouldn't raise an issue if it was valuable archives, like grass-dev.
"

see also:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/168

Frank provided excellent support (and nearly real time response)!.

Suggestions to store grass-commit are welcome. Nabble?

Concerning the search engine: htdig fails since it picks up
the old archives. Since the archives have been rebuilt, the
numbers are slightly shifted. It will take some to to get
Google and friends updated, too.
Once grass.osgeo.org is fully operational, we can fix the
search engine issue (doesn't make much sense on grass.itc.it).

> I also notice someone posted with a bad clock, any chance to fix that with an
> low-level edit with info taken from elsewhere in the email's header info?
>   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/1971-June/021316.html

I would say: impossible. We have > 34000 postings in grass-dev... there
are a series of broken emails. Also, if someone posts with wrong date
tomorrow, it might end up in a wrong archive position as well.

Markus