[GRASS-user] Grass 6.3 Mac - r.patch parse error; mailing list migration search troubles

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 01:29:24 EST 2007

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> There seems to be a parse error of some kind in Grass-6.3.cvs, William
> Kyngsbury build,  running under OSX. The most recent install I
> downloaded is in the file GRASS-6.3-070913.zip.

This was fixed in CVS on Sept 18, five days after your build. g.mlist is a
shell script text file, you can edit in the fix by hand if you don't want to
update everything.

here is the thread from the nabble archive:
  http://www.nabble.com/g.mlist-problem-tf4472121.html

> When working with a Web Mapping Server, Grass downloads a set of tiles
> and then patches them. The error happens in the patch process:
> ERROR: the minimum number of input maps is two.
>
> I can patch the files manually, but cannot patch them using patterns.
> The following command:
>
> r.patch input=`g.mlist pat="*blue" sep=,` out=Perthblue
>
> Produces the same failure.
>
> I think the parsing problem is associated with g.mlist, because trying
> to use it for a bulk delete shows it appending the letter "n" into
> filenames:
>
>  >Removing raster <Test_2_tile_30_tmp.rednwa_output.red_State_Facilitiesn>
>
> - the file should be *tmp.red followed by wa_output.red.
>
> All operations work under 6.2.1.

the "n" is from the second part of the shell code for a newline "\n".

fixed here:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/scripts/g.mlist/g.mlist.diff?r1=1.18&r2=1.19

I would have guessed that a hardcoded newline in the regex (even \quoted)
wasn't entierly kosher. But apparently it's ok....

mailing list woes:

I first searched for the thread, and found one on grass-dev from 2007-09-18
titled
 "[GRASS-dev] g.mlist problem - followup"
but the Gmane archive is producing an error "weft didn't produce an output."
and the ht://Dig -dev mailing list search can't even find any matches on a
search for "grass". (in the past Markus explained this might happen when it was
doing a rescan)

The other day a ht://Dig seach gave results, but the links were misaligned and
you ended up with another random post or not-found error when you clicked on a
promising summary.

I also notice that old commits wait to be copied to the new osgeo server:  (?)
  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/

I also notice someone posted with a bad clock, any chance to fix that with an
low-level edit with info taken from elsewhere in the email's header info?
  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/1971-June/021316.html

?

Hamish