[GRASS-user] [off-topic] spoke too soon

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:00:53 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> Good stuff
>
> All the palettes are available in GMT color format, which is just plain
> ASCII and very similar to GRASS' own colour rule files in the 'cols'
> database elements. The only major difference seems to be three
> additional lines at the end of the file specifying colours for
> foreground, background and no data areas which could simply be
> discarded.

Indeed. Will have to poke around in the r.colors source -- anyone an expert on
how the rules file is parsed?

> So how about adding an option cpt=filename to r.colors, to set the
> color rules for a raster map from a GMT ASCII file?

I think that this would be a great addition. The GMT folks might like it as
well.

> The best of these styles could still be hardcoded into r.colors'
> database.

Agreed.

> Benjamin
>

> P.S.: Some of these palettes actually have licenses attached to them.
> What sort of a world do we live in that requires the most trivial
> things to be licensed? Come on people, you can give _some_ things to
> the public domain w/o conditions ...

My thoughts exactly- however you are going to have to pay-up if you decide to
implement this idea!  j/k

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette