[GRASS-user] [off-topic] spoke too soon

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Oct 3 15:42:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 12:00 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2007, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> > Good stuff
> >
> > All the palettes are available in GMT color format, which is just plain
> > ASCII and very similar to GRASS' own colour rule files in the 'cols'
> > database elements. The only major difference seems to be three
> > additional lines at the end of the file specifying colours for
> > foreground, background and no data areas which could simply be
> > discarded.
>
> Indeed. Will have to poke around in the r.colors source -- anyone an expert on
> how the rules file is parsed?

See the r.colors manual page for details.  It is similar to the GMT .cpt
format, but still needs a little conversion.

> > P.S.: Some of these palettes actually have licenses attached to them.
> > What sort of a world do we live in that requires the most trivial
> > things to be licensed? Come on people, you can give _some_ things to
> > the public domain w/o conditions ...
>
> My thoughts exactly- however you are going to have to pay-up if you decide to
> implement this idea!  j/k

The product palette image can be copyrighted, but the palette, itself,
cannot be copyrighted.

>From copyrights.gov[1] - What can NOT be copyrighted (not a complete
list):

"- Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or
designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or
coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents.

- Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles,
discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description,
explanation, or illustration.

- Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and
containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars,
height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables
taken from public documents or other common sources)."

[1] http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wnp

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>