[GRASS-user] Re: r.in.gdal broken on Cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Oct 5 09:21:52 EDT 2007

cheg01 at comcast.net wrote:

> gdb gives the following error on running r.in.gdal:
>
> >>run
> gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000135 at 0x7c964ed1
>
> Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.
>
> Program exited with code 030000000465.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>

> Internet search indicates that this is a windows error code that it
> cannot find or load required dll files for the program. I have tried
> both cygwin startup and in windows environment variables without
> success.

Use cygcheck, e.g.:

	cygcheck /usr/local/grass-6.2.2/bin/r.in.gdal

This will tell you exactly which DLLs it's looking for.

FWIW, LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't used on Windows; PATH is used for locating
both executables and DLLs.

> Possible related issue: ldd shows r.in.gdal has a dependence on
> libgrass_gis.6.0.0.dll even though I am running grass 5.4.1.

Are you using a pre-compiled binary of GDAL? If GDAL was built with
GRASS support, it will probably only work with the version of GRASS
for which it was built.

Either find a version of GDAL built for 5.4.1, or a version without
GRASS support, or build it yourself. The Cygwin GDAL package on the
GRASS site doesn't include GRASS support:

	http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/

	http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/gdal-1.3.1-1.cygwin.tar.bz2

> I tried
> creating a symlink from grass_gis.dll to grass_gis.6.0.0.dll but that
> did not fix it. It also shows a few other version-specific
> dependencies.

I wouldn't expect this to work; there are incompatible changes between
GRASS 5.x and 6.x.