[GRASS-user] Artefacts when interpolating DTM from Contour Lines with v.surf.rst

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 8 03:00:33 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to interpolate a raster DTM from contour lines. I like the
results from v.surf.rst, however, this algorithm, at least with my
settings seams to generate rectangular artefacts in the resulting DTM. See
a hillshade of my result at
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/hs_dtm_tension5_smooth2.png - if it
weren't for these artefacts I would like the results very much.

Here are the parameters I used:
v.surf.rst input=hl layer=1 zcolumn=elev_m dmax=10 dmin=0.5
elev=dtm_tension5_smooth2 zmult=1.0 tension=5 smooth=2 segmax=40 npmin=300
--overwrite

The idea is to get a smooth, not too detailed DTM, hence the small tension
and higher smooth values.

Are there any parameters or postprocessing steps that would help me remove
these rectangular artefacts? Or alternatively, are there better methods to
interpolate DTMs from contour lines?

Thanks for any ideas,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland