[GRASS-user] Re: grassuser Digest, Vol 18, Issue 23

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Oct 12 00:06:31 EDT 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:58:03 -0700
> From: Rick Reeves <reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Fixing the error: G_set_window(): Illegal
> 	latitude for	North
> To: grassuser at grass.itc.it
>

> Hello:
>
> I'm running GRASS 6.2 on Ubuntu Linux, supported by GDAL 1.4 utilities.
> And I'm importing raster images in tif format (exported from ArcMap as TIF
> files) using r.in.gdal, into a location created by manually entering the
> bounding
> coordinates and projection parameters. The bounding lat/long coordinates
> contain the boundaries of the image that I am importing. The 'override
> projection'
> option is set.
>
> When I press the Run button on the r.in.gdal dialog, the error occurs:
>
> GRASS_INFO_WARNING(19479,1): G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North.
>
>  From searching the lists for a solution, I dont see much that is of
> help, but there
> are some hints that this might be a software version conflict of some type.
>
> Does anyone have any insight or a fix for this error? I have also seen the
> error when trying to create a new location using the a geo-referenced
> tif file.
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Rick Reeves
> NCEAS
> UC Santa Barbara

Rick,

"Illegal north" happens if the raster you're trying to import has more
rows (bottom-top) than the x resolution of your target. If you have only
1,000 rows height, but a raster that's 10,000 pixels high, then the
upper 9,000 pixels are outside your target location.

My usual approach is:
- When importing a raster, use the "create new location" option in r.in.gdal
(the location created by your first raster will be suitable for other
raster imports)
- Open the raster in that location
- Georeference the raster, using your lat-long location as the target
(process: i.group, i.target, i.points, i.rectify)
- Open the georectified raster in the target location

Richard Chirgwin