[GRASS-user] Fixing the error: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 03:10:48 EDT 2007

> > GRASS_INFO_WARNING(19479,1): G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North.
Glynn:
> The error mostly occurs when importing non-georeferenced images into a
> lat/lon location.
>
> Non-georeferenced images are normally imported with the lower-left
> corner at (0,0) and with a resolution of one unit per cell. For a
> lat/lon location, this typically results in the top edge of the image
> being above 90 degrees, hence the error.
..
> It can sometimes occur when importing geo-referenced images where the
> top row is centred on 90N, resulting in the top edge being half a cell
> above that. I am not aware of any workaround for this case.

The last case is a bit of an anomaly as every cell in the row must contain the
same value, as they overlap at the pole. If they are not all the same, you
could claim that the dataset was broken.... the next pragmatic question is how
to accomodate broken datasets without annoying users too much? Throw away the
row at the pole? (ie instead of G_fatal_error() import as much as possible with
a warning that some data has been thrown away- please check & here's probably
why it happened. I guess that is still problematic for longitude when column
>360 wants to wrap around and overwrite earlier <360 data ?)

Hamish