[GRASS-user] Fixing the error: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Oct 12 02:50:55 EDT 2007

Rick Reeves wrote:

> I'm running GRASS 6.2 on Ubuntu Linux, supported by GDAL 1.4 utilities.
> And I'm importing raster images in tif format (exported from ArcMap as TIF
> files) using r.in.gdal, into a location created by manually entering the
> bounding
> coordinates and projection parameters. The bounding lat/long coordinates
> contain the boundaries of the image that I am importing. The 'override
> projection'
> option is set.
>
> When I press the Run button on the r.in.gdal dialog, the error occurs:
>
> GRASS_INFO_WARNING(19479,1): G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North.
>
>  From searching the lists for a solution, I dont see much that is of
> help, but there
> are some hints that this might be a software version conflict of some type.
>
> Does anyone have any insight or a fix for this error? I have also seen the
> error when trying to create a new location using the a geo-referenced
> tif file.

The error mostly occurs when importing non-georeferenced images into a
lat/lon location.

Non-georeferenced images are normally imported with the lower-left
corner at (0,0) and with a resolution of one unit per cell. For a
lat/lon location, this typically results in the top edge of the image
being above 90 degrees, hence the error.

You may be able to get around this problem by changing the location to
x/y while importing the image, and changing it back after the image's
bounds have been set correctly.

It can sometimes occur when importing geo-referenced images where the
top row is centred on 90N, resulting in the top edge being half a cell
above that. I am not aware of any workaround for this case.