[GRASS-user] change detection for the vector data stored in PostGIS through image processing of raster representaion of simiar data

Muhammad Imran imran19632 at itc.nl
Fri Oct 12 13:49:30 EDT 2007

I am actually looking for a metaphore for an area of application in
which my main interests could
prove useful.  Those interests are the extension of spatial database
technology into the domains of image support, vague and uncertain data
and so on.  It occurred to me that hybtrid vector/image applications are
probably primarily those in which known spatial phenomena are
represented in vector data, and recent phenomena have been surveyed with
images. The general idea would then be to detect change in the images,
being guided by known phenomena, and eventually delineate such changes
and bring them under vector format into the spatial database.

This would require a marriage of vector databases witrh image analysis
platforms, hence I am looking at StarSpan or equivalent tools.  I hope
you will give me some ideas indetail in this area , to understand the
possibilities and the limitations better.