[GRASS-user] v.delaunay limits?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 17 11:23:23 EDT 2007

Are there any limits on v.delaunay?  I wanted to make a triangulation
on 300000 points, and got a lot of memory allocation errors.  Does it
need to load all the points into memory?  Or need a lot of extra
memory for the processing?

OSX 10.4 with 2GB memory.  GRASS 6.3cvs, fairly recent.

Or is there some bug I'm running into?

Any ideas on alternatives to create a triangular network of
polygons?  I need to make a surface mesh that will eventually be
imported into a 3D application.  And with a few million points.

One possible source of the problem is that the points are arranged in
a regular grid pattern.  I realize that a triangular network is
probably not the best for this and may be what is choking v.delaunay,
but clients seem to know what they want without understanding what
they want (we're trying to talk the client into using a raster
elevation grid).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.