[GRASS-user] v.delaunay limits?

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:45:15 EDT 2007

Have you tried Paraview? http://paraview.org/New/download.html

It runs on Macs, and it should take care of those millions points.
There is a thread I sent some time ago about using GRASS, Paraview and
Meshlab to create DXF TINs that could be imported into AutoCAD. It's
somewhere in the Wiki, too.

best

Carlos

On 10/17/07, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Are there any limits on v.delaunay?  I wanted to make a triangulation
> on 300000 points, and got a lot of memory allocation errors.  Does it
> need to load all the points into memory?  Or need a lot of extra
> memory for the processing?
>
> OSX 10.4 with 2GB memory.  GRASS 6.3cvs, fairly recent.
>
> Or is there some bug I'm running into?
>
> Any ideas on alternatives to create a triangular network of
> polygons?  I need to make a surface mesh that will eventually be
> imported into a 3D application.  And with a few million points.
>
> One possible source of the problem is that the points are arranged in
> a regular grid pattern.  I realize that a triangular network is
> probably not the best for this and may be what is choking v.delaunay,
> but clients seem to know what they want without understanding what
> they want (we're trying to talk the client into using a raster
> elevation grid).
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

Can't stop the signal.