[GRASS-user] Question about MAPSET permissions with a GRASS script

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Sun Oct 28 18:44:51 EDT 2007

I have written a GRASS shell script for Linux that works perfectly well
except for one thing. Anyone who runs it from their login ID must be
able to run the script, which they initiate manually. The MAPSET is
generic, called 'oper' — we have an 'oper' Linux login. What happens is
that unless I login or 'su' to 'oper', the script fails with:

ERROR: MAPSET oper — permission denied
ERROR: MAPSET oper — permission denied
ERROR: MAPSET oper — permission denied
.
.
.
etc.

The process involves (among other things) reading in point data using
v.in.ascii and spatially interpolating it to a raster.

I have tried a number of things to set the GRASS permissions to allow
universal access to the 'oper' MAPSET as well as trying to export the
USER variable, etc. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a
suggestion? I'm trying to avoid requiring everyone to create their own
login/MAPSET and have the resulting files (which we want to retain as an
archive) scattered around in different MAPSETS.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams