[GRASS-user] edit category information?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 7 00:48:30 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07 8:40 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>> The main thing needed first is a way to get category information INTO
>> r.support from a file and/or stdin. Basically, it needs a "rules" file
>> option like has been added to r.reclass and r.recode. If it had the same
>> syntax as r.reclass, it would simplify things from a user point of
>> view. We could then just use the same simple 'rules' interface to
>> change categories and labels on an existing map as we do to reclassify
>> a map. e.g....
>>
>> 0 = 0 not classified
>> 1 thru 2 = 1 developed
>

> You can't add that to r.support as the module is too general, it's not
> just for cats.

All the other stuff except for cats already seems to have an option to
enter. This is why I suggested it.

> it would either need two options:
>  rules=<<data>>
> and
>  what_the_input_data_is=cats

Not sure that I understand this. Is this something beyond what already can
be entered (I mean from the command line or GUI and not just from the old
interactive terminal app)?

> or a bunch of flags to control that.
>
> Seems messy- Probably better to have a new r.support.cats module to take
> care of that? Writing the cats file is so simple I don't know if it
> really needs its own C module, or if you can just write out the file
> directly from the GUI.
>
> the cats file format is detailed in sections 5.4 and! 12.11.9.2 of the
> GRASS 5.0 Programmer's Manual. (I'm not sure where it is in the GRASS 6
> prog manual) Note there are two different map titles, one from the cats
> file, the other from the hist file (in r.info "title_cats (title_hist)")

Seems to me that these should be the same. Any reason that they should be
different?

> Cat labels can be dynamic, see
>   https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2437
>
> e.g. 'r.neighbors method=diversity' creates a dynamic cats/ file.

I read the reference but I still don't really understand what this means.

Michael

> Hamish

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity