[GRASS-user] trying to get unprojected raster data into a projected location

Pietro Calogero pietro at calogero.us
Thu Sep 20 23:56:28 EDT 2007

I received a set of data that was developed in ArgGIS, including
shapefiles and a .sid raster file. The shapefiles came with
projection information, but the .sid file did not (and it extends out
further than the vector info on the edges). So I created an x,y
location for the .sid file and imported it using GDAL. It imported
fine; the satphoto looks good. I also created a UTM location for the
shapefiles using their proj info, and then extended the region and
increased the resolution based on the extents of the raster (all
units are in meters).
Now I want to reproject the raster from the x,y location into the UTM
location. Both are in meters, both have the same N,S,W,E extents,
both have the same resolution.

I cannot figure out the steps, based on the documentation I have
found through 3 hours of searching.
First, I tried to create a new long-lat location using the same
extents, but in GRASS, creating a location manually seems to default
to d-m-s coordinates and does not allow for meters. So I cannot input
my extents, false northing, false easting, and resolution.
Second, I tried using g.setproj within the x,y location but that is
not allowed.

So I cannot seem to generate projection information for this raster
that I have imported, and therefore I cannot reproject it into the
UTM location with the same extents, resolution, and units.

It seems to me that this problem should be common, and the solution
should be elementary. It should be easy to find documentation on how
to resolve this problem in introductory tutorials. I can imagine that
many GRASS users receive ESRI-generated data with missing or partial
projection information. Please advise.

Pietro Calogero
Mobile: +93 (0) 799 02 00 27
http://www.calogero.us/Kabul/2007/