[GRASS-user] how to enable write access for the UNIX group?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sun Sep 23 12:51:42 EDT 2007

Hi

How do enable members of a UNIX group to have write access to shared
GRASS locations/mapsets from GRASS?

To check if that's possible with umask, I do:

$ umask 6
$ grass63
(setup new location, create mapsets)

The location and mapsets directories are created with 771 rights. The
dbf subdir too. WIND, DEFAULT_WIND, MYNAME, .gislock and .bashrc files
are created with 660. Good. But, any newly created mapset elements
(subdirs for vectors, raster etc.) still have only read access for the
group. Do GRASS commands ignore umask setting?

Sidenote:

I know I also need to modify the rights check in
G__mapset_permissions() and
G__mapset_permissions2() in lib/gis/mapset_msc.c so that users were
able to modify mapsets they don't own. This is already done.

Maciek